plazo: 30 julio, 2010
cuando: del 27 al 30 septiembre (2011)
IMPACT 7: Intersections & Counterpoints
International Multi-disciplinary Printmedia Conference
27 – 30 September 2011
Faculty of Art & Design,
IMPACT, the world’s leading event for contemporary print culture, will head south of the equator in 2011, to be hosted by the Faculty of Art & Design, Monash University in Melbourne, Australia.
IMPACT 7: Intersections & Counterpoints will focus on the multiple identity of the print, exploring the cross-disciplinary nature of printmedia internationally and in the context of the Asia-Pacific region. Printmedia will be explored as a heterogeneous, diverse and all pervading aspect of contemporary culture. Often located at the intersections of disciplines and media, it is also a powerful political vehicle, generating discourse and debate by virtue of its wide dissemination and ability to offer counterpoints to the norm.
The conference addresses practitioners, writers, critics, artists, theorists, and others working in the broad fields of print-related research. It aims to provide a platform in which practitioners and researchers can engage in a mutually productive exchange. Media identified by the conference will include but not be limited to: printmaking, photography, graphic design, drawing, the artist’s book, text, animation, and
film and digital media
IMPACT 7: Intersections & Counterpoints will reflect on the activities of an international community of artists, writers and designers. The conference will bring indigenous, migrant, and regional voices to the fore, with a focus on cultural diversity, creative collaboration, the artists’ book, and communication in digital networks.
Monash University invites artists, curators, print studios, writers, academics, collectors, students and industry to participate in IMPACT 7: Intersections & Counterpoints. The conference will include themed refereed sessions, poster presentations, exhibitions across Melbourne in major public and private venues, open portfolios, workshops and demonstrations.
Papers are invited on any aspect of the conference theme. Topics include but are not limited to:
– printmedia and political agency, activism, appropriation and sub-culture
– print and the influence of digital technologies and new media
– the history and theory of the print, printmedia and printmaking
– trace, document, index
– medium and materiality
– craft, making, mastery and process
– sustainability, reconstitution, and recycling
– globalization, national identities and the post-colonial perspective
– printmedia and Indigeneity
– the distribution of printmedia: economies and sites of practice
– printmedia in the domestic and everyday
– the print as memorial, memory and trauma
– printedmedia as a means to engage archives and the archival
– printmedia and the artist’s book
– the print and narrative
– print, film and animation
– the print, text, semiotics and language
– paper architecture: the unbuilt in printmedia
1. Conference Papers – Submission of a 500-word abstract, together with your name and short biography (max. 100 words), position, institutional affiliation, and elected topic. Papers selected for the conference will be double-blind refereed and published in due course. Proposals for themed panel discussions are invited for submission.
Abstract Deadline: Friday 30 July 2010
Notification of Acceptance: September 2010
Paper Deadline: Friday 31 December 2010
2. Proposals for Exhibitions, Academic Poster Presentations, Workshops and Demonstrations, Open Portfolios, and Master Classes (for regional Victoria) – Submission of a 1-2 page outline of proposal’s concept, good quality images (max. 10), short biography (max. 100 words), space and technical requirements, and other pertinent information.
Proposal Deadline: Friday 01 October 2010
Notification of Acceptance: January 2011
Please e-mail to IMPACT 7 Project Manager:
And/or post to:
IMPACT 7 Conference
Department of Fine Arts
Faculty of Art and Design
Monash University Caulfield Campus
PO Box 197
Caulfield East VIC 3145